Tuesday 8 February 2011

Our first training session


On Wednesday we went to the Salesian sisters’ place just outside the city to deliver our first training session. They run a primary school which they started only a few years ago. At the moment there are only 3 classes – Nursery/reception, Year 1 and 2 – but each year as the cohorts move up they are adding another one. The training session was for the primary teachers and also for the technical school teachers!! I did my utmost to try and get two separate sessions because for me teaching five year olds to read and 18 year olds to weld are very different and require quite different skills – but I lost and we did them together.
Neither of the groups of teachers had done any formal training before being in the classroom. People who fail their leaving exams tend to go in to primary teaching (!) and people with vocational skills and want to teach, go in to technical schools. Although they have the relevant skills for the subject they don’t have much knowledge of what’s involved in teaching. Given all this, it seemed very daunting. However both the Heads of the respective schools wanted something on planning and preparation. I left Zelma to do that bit (and a session on questioning) whilst I looked at learning styles and the importance of building self esteem in your students. I also led some ice breakers and energisers. I did an activity where they each had the name of an African country taped to their back and through closed ‘yes/no’ questions they had to find out which one it was. Hmmm didn’t work!! It was mainly because they found the whole idea very confusing and then were not that familiar with other countries on the continent. It made me think whether we could do it for Europe? (answers in comments below please!)
Due to lack of time the one thing we did not cover was interactive teaching methods which the primary teachers would have welcomed (I think!). As we went round the school the second class (Year I equivalent) was colouring in a square which the teacher had already drawn in their books. I was itching to help them to make it more fun and active but had to sit on my hands – and yes I did manage too! On the other hand the reception teacher was great. The kids were singing and dancing and really enjoying themselves.
Sister Cecily asked if we could stay for a few days to help the teachers some more but unfortunately our schedule doesn’t allow it. However, perhaps another time, another year....

1 comment:

  1. European football teams as ice breakers might work a lot better than countries, Bridget. In SE Asia that would work I think. Even far far off the beaten track in Indonesia, Vietnam or Cambodia kids could tell me the names of football players and the teams they played for.

    ReplyDelete